Wednesday, 24 February 2016

Getting Into Inside Out

|   BOOKISH RAMBLES   |
My Thoughts on All Things in the Creative World
Every Wednesday


Picture
It's no secret that I love my cartoons. And, going deeper, that I am pretty obsessed with Disney. It's a massive part of my life and I've always loved the stories that challenged me to think about the world. So, even when I was younger, I always gravitated more towards the darker and more complex stories. As I grew older, I liked finding the relevance in them too - they were no longer just helping me see things in a different way, but also helping me to apply them to my own surroundings. And in recent years, I haven't found a cartoon which managed to do that as masterfully as Inside Out.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, the premise appears simple enough, like most cartoons do. It's about the little voices inside your head. Sounds cute. Good for kids. Adults might get a laugh out of it too. General family fare.

​I was blown away by how much of an understatement that was. Yes, it's cute and funny, but this movie is deep. As in standing-ovation deep.

Without giving too much away, it centres around an 11 year-old girl named Riley, who moves hundreds of miles to a new home. Needless to say, she has a tough time adapting. And inside her head, five key emotions: Joy, Anger, Fear, Disgust and Sadness, work together to try and keep her in the best possible mental state. Or, rather, four of them do. Sadness, not being understood, is always forced out of the equation so there is no chance Riley can ever be upset.

​​And there's the deep genius of this film.

Picture
​Seeing this as an adult, I can really appreciate it. But I honestly feel that if this had come out when I was a kid, it would have seriously helped me. It can be so difficult to understand yourself as a child, especially if you go through any kind of trauma or upheaval. Even afterwards, if you suffer from any kind of mental illness, it can feel like something really abnormal is happening in your head - something cold and distant when explained scientifically. But Inside Out presents the mind with literal and colourful locations that can really pin down the spinning top of confusion that psychology can bring. And this film is based very closely on actual psychology models, in more ways than one.

Under the pressure of our lives, we can often forget to call out for help and let ourselves cry. But nowadays, there is not only recognition of the fact that feeling sad on occasion is healthy, but that it is accepted. How many people - children and adults, are terrified at being caught crying? Terrified at expressing their feelings, even if they aren't always happy?

I can see parents using these characters and their setting as a metaphor to help their children figure out their emotions and how to express themselves. I can even see children doing it by themselves, imagining their own personified emotions at the controls based on what they feel. I know I would have done that if this film had been released 15 years ago. And I know it would have made a lot of mental mess a lot easier to understand.

Inside Out is a very important film, not just for the younger generation, but for any generation. I'm really glad it's getting the recognition it deserves.


No comments:

Post a Comment