Friday, 9 May 2014

A single smile

I actually wrote this post last week and wanted to get it up sometime before the blog tour began, but I’ve been having some problems lately with Blogger and it’s set me behind on posting. But it’s here now, so here we go!

I’m similar to most writers in that all this started out as a hobby; something I did in my spare time around my homework. I did it because I loved it, and because I knew it helped to keep me sane. I never decided from day one that I wanted to be published. I actually became very secretive about my writing, so the idea of being published seemed a thousand miles away. But when I did start seriously pursuing the idea: sending out the submissions and enquiry letters, I was aware from the beginning that it wouldn’t be easy. And I knew it was something that, at the very heart of it all, you have to do for the love of it.

To that end, I openly said that if I ever was lucky enough to be published, I had one main priority. If just one person read my stories and enjoyed them, then I’d done a good job. To think something I had created could bring pleasure and happiness to a single reader, I would be content.

This summer will be two years since my dreams of becoming a published author came true. Since then, both Blindsighted Wanderer and Tragic Silence have been released. I’ve heard from readers about them, and it always brings a smile to my face and a tear to my eye when I hear that they have been enjoyed. Of course there are going to be some more negative comments – everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if my books don’t turn out to be their cup of tea, then fair enough. But I still stand by the idea of the smile being all I ever wanted. And to think that one smile has become quite a few smiles now just makes me melt.

I’m honoured to be able to share all this with you, and to make sure I never forget that motto, I have it stuck on my wall so I can see it every day.

a single smile
is worth my while

No comments:

Post a Comment