Friday, 11 October 2013

Stories and scans


Well, it's been a while since my last update-style post, so I thought I'd better write one!
 
At the moment I'm housesitting for some friends, which is giving me a good opportunity to get stuck in with all my work for university. I have a lot to do, but the peace and quiet is helping me concentrate and I'm aiming to get it all done in a couple of weeks so I can really take time to relax.
 
Besides all that, I've finished the first draft of my latest novel, The Tale of Jane Doe. I'm leaving it alone for a while now so I can go back and edit it fresh in a few months. I'm overwhelmingly proud of this story. Juggling all the different components to pull it together was very interesting - it's taken me in a few new directions. And after working on paranormal and gritty high fantasy the last few years, it was great to go back to a more 'mystical' kind of story. My mum read it a few weeks ago, and she said it's the darkest story I've ever written. That balance was what I was aiming for and I'm so happy I managed to achieve it.
 
I'm planning to start a new novel in summer 2014 - from the looks of things, it's going to be The Libelle Papers: the first prequel to Tragic Silence. I can't really take the time to write it sooner because I have so much work for uni which needs to be done in the meantime. But to help keep me sane, I'm working on a novella, The Sailorman's Daughters, which I'm aiming to finish sometime in the new year. I'm not writing it constantly like I usually do with a novel, but I'm enjoying it so far! Mermaids galore!
 
I'm also due to go to hospital soon for an MRI scan of my wrist. As some of you may know, I've had problems with the tendons for a few years. It's been very frustrating because it's made it hard for me to do a lot of things. At one point a couple of years ago, I couldn't even hold a fork properly! I was worried initially that it was carpal tunnel syndrome or something, but when I went for a check-up, I was relieved to hear it's probably just tendonitis. We just need to find out exactly what is going on in the tissues so it can start being treated properly.
 
Well, that's all I can think of to say! I hope everyone is doing well, and looking forward to Hallowe'en! I still need to decide what to carve on the pumpkin for this year...

No comments:

Post a Comment