Tuesday, 1 October 2013

Blog tour: Aphrodite's War by Donna Milward


Once again, I'm doing a stop on the Staccato Autumn Family Lineup, yay! Today we have Donna Milward, and are celebrating her newest release, Aphrodite's War!
ABOUT THE BOOK

Aphrodite despises Aries and when Zeus proposes a contest, the prize being expulsion of her enemy from Olympus, Aphrodite cannot resist. The catch: should Aries prevail it is Aphrodite who must leave her home. Risks aside, she cannot refuse the possibility of a future without her former lover.
The challenge: two mortals must fall in love. It is simple. However, the players could not be more ill-suited. Poetry, a free spirited artist and Adrian, a defense attorney would not normally choose one another. But when gods interfere anything is possible.


ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Donna Milward lives in Edmonton, Alberta in a tiny house with a huge yard. She’s been writing all her life, but decided to put writing on hold to get ‘a real job’ as a meatcutter and build a future with her beloved troll, Dan and her cats Freya, Sully, and Spartacus Jones.

Twelve years later, an invitation to a Romance Writer’s Conference in Washington D.C. led not only to new friends and new knowledge, but to the inspiration to write again. Thoeba was completed the following year.

Donna likes to mix her fascination with reincarnation and all things paranormal with her love of mythology in her work, and has even written her own myth ‘The Sacred Truth” (on earthtothoeba.blogspot.com) as the lore behind Thoeba and future novels to come.

Donna enjoys fishing, gardening and canning. Despite these hobbies, she much prefers city life


AN INTERVIEW WITH DONNA MILWARD


How did you come up with the idea of Aphrodite's War? Did you have to do a lot of research for it?
The idea came from two places. I always thought if Aphrodite and Ares were real people, their romance wouldn’t survive forever, and what happens when you’re immortal and forever is your reality? The saying “All is fair in love and war” sprang to mind constantly. The other concept came from another cliché—“Opposites attract.” But it can’t be that easy. Especially since Poetry and Adrian are as different from each other as you can get. I’m not sure those two would have connected without Aphrodite’s help. And oddly enough, Kevin helped a great deal.

As for research, I’ve adored Greek Mythology since I was twelve years old. It’s a joy for me to use what I’ve learned over the years. And since I live in Edmonton, I didn’t really need to research much. You could come to my city and find the restaurant where Poetry works and the neighbourhood where her parents live. You can see the gay bar from the Second Cup Poetry and Jenny met at. I went through my local yellow pages to count how many pages were dedicated to law offices. The only fictional place was Vulcan’s Forge. Research for everything else was as simple as Google.



There are so many entities in Greek mythology: gods, nymphs and titans, to name only a few! How did you decide which characters would make an appearance in Aphrodite's War?

I guess I just used whoever seemed appropriate for the job. That’s the beauty of Greek Mythology—there is a deity or legend for everything.


How long did it take you to write this story?
I would say roughly nine or ten months plus editing. That’s how it seems to work for me, a novel a year.



Do you have any kind of rituals for writing, such as having music playing, or writing at a certain time of day?
I never really gave that much thought, but I definitely have a preferred routine. I like to write in the morning after breakfast and Facebook. I always have the TV on in the background, because I hate silence and music is too distracting. On a good day, I can write into the afternoon. I prefer to write my blogs and other correspondence in the evenings after dinner.



If Aphrodite's War was made into a movie, who would you choose to play the main character?
Tough question! The only one who has an actual actor chosen for him is Ares. Jason Momoa would be perfect! I chose Adrian’s features from the Norwegian Olympic Curling Team. I never had anyone in mind for Poetry, but just last March I met a woman named Sandra who looked just like her! She even had tattoos and piercings, but her black hair is longer and curlier and her bangs are always orange.


Thank you so much, Donna, for a great interview!


FIND DONNA MILWARD ON THE WEB AT THESE SITES




It's been an absolute pleasure for me to host these stops on the Lineup tour for both Donna Milward and Jacinta Maree. Please check out their amazing books and show your support! And don't forget to enter the giveaway below! Good luck everyone!
a Rafflecopter giveaway

No comments:

Post a Comment