Friday, 6 September 2013

Review: Today Only by D. Love

17853119
5 / 5 STARS
In life, there are times you are granted a miracle. It may not be the one you wanted exactly, but it will be the one you need. It will prepare you for the next step in your journey and help you learn to accept the life you are given, even if that life can be heartbreaking.
This has to be one of the most beautifully optimistic and empowering books I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading. I can’t think of a single negative thing to say about it. The characters are wonderfully constructed and entirely believable; the pacing is excellent; and the narrative structure is perfect. When I first picked it up, I was wondering how the story was going to be told and whether it would be all from Rye’s perspective, and I loved how each chapter jumped between the viewpoints of both Rye and Jett. Both of them are great narrators which I really felt for as I followed their journey together.
Every single page of Today Only shines with a magnificent hope that can be very rare to find, not only in books, but in life in general. Its subject is an extremely touchy one but is handled with respect and tenderness. In many ways, it follows the story which many cancer sufferers face in the final stages of life, but highlighting it in the way which Love has, by focusing on the experiences of one sufferer and her support network with an utterly believable, is so beautifully managed that it really sets it apart. I felt for not just Rye, but all her family and friends all the way through. I was crying for about half an hour reading the final third of the book, but the story still ends on an overwhelming positive note, which not only balances the more upsetting scenes but filled me with the same happiness that the ‘today only’ mentality brings to the characters. This is a story with a true message to love life and be thankful for every moment – something which many of us can easily overlook. It is an amazing and heartfelt tale that I would recommend to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment