Saturday, 11 May 2013

Review: Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass #1) by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)

4 / 5

After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin. Her opponents are men-thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, each sponsored by a member of the king's council. If she beats her opponents in a series of eliminations, she'll serve the kingdom for three years and then be granted her freedom.

Celaena finds her training sessions with the captain of the guard, Westfall, challenging and exhilirating. But she's bored stiff by court life. Things get a little more interesting when the prince starts to show interest in her... but it's the gruff Captain Westfall who seems to understand her best.

Then one of the other contestants turns up dead... quickly followed by another.

Can Celaena figure out who the killer is before she becomes a victim? As the young assassin investigates, her search leads her to discover a greater destiny than she could possibly have imagined.



I really enjoyed this book. I’ve been looking for a new fantasy to get stuck in with, and this one appealed to me as soon as I picked it up. It’s got a great setting with some pretty breathtaking locations, as well as a well-rounded cast of characters, and a heroine who knows how to kick some butt and play a dangerous game of trust! I’d heard that Maas was inspired by Cinderella fairytale, which drew me in the first place – when I was reading it, I could see little nods to that story throughout the book. Saying that, it stands alone well by itself, and I’d recommend this book to anyone who enjoys fantasy, especially fans of the Hunger Games and Sabriel. There are also some nice blends of other genres in there too; romance, as well as a bit of a whodunit.

The character development is brilliantly done, and Maas has achieved the task of moving between their viewpoints and keeping the narrative flowing smoothly. The majority is told from the POV of our butt-kicking heroine, Celaena, and the journey she takes into unfamiliar territory of both surroundings and mind, is mesmerising to watch unfold. Throughout the book, I was wondering about her mysterious past, and how it shaped her to become a notorious assassin. Her sharp tongue brought some real sarcastic humour to the story, and from the opening I was chuckling at her dry way of approaching a situation. She isn’t the only great character though; so many of them feel living and breathing, so you can really love them, or love to hate them.

The only low points for the story for me was that I felt it slowed in pace a little towards the middle; and I was hoping for a little more magic in general. But, saying that, having finished reading, I can understand why it didn’t play a larger role and hope it will be expanded on in further books. I won’t reveal any more about that so there are no spoilers, but persevere! It’s worth it! This is probably one of my favourite books of 2013 so far, and I can’t wait to read more!

I really enjoyed this book. I’ve been looking for a new fantasy to get stuck in with, and this one appealed to me as soon as I picked it up. It’s got a great setting with some pretty breathtaking locations, as well as a well-rounded cast of characters, and a heroine who knows how to kick some butt and play a dangerous game of trust! I’d heard that Maas was inspired by Cinderella fairytale, which drew me in the first place – when I was reading it, I could see little nods to that story throughout the book. Saying that, it stands alone well by itself, and I’d recommend this book to anyone who enjoys fantasy, especially fans of the Hunger Games and Sabriel. There are also some nice blends of other genres in there too; romance, as well as a bit of a whodunit.

The character development is brilliantly done, and Maas has achieved the task of moving between their viewpoints and keeping the narrative flowing smoothly. The majority is told from the POV of our butt-kicking heroine, Celaena, and the journey she takes into unfamiliar territory of both surroundings and mind, is mesmerising to watch unfold. Throughout the book, I was wondering about her mysterious past, and how it shaped her to become a notorious assassin. Her sharp tongue brought some real sarcastic humour to the story, and from the opening I was chuckling at her dry way of approaching a situation. She isn’t the only great character though; so many of them feel living and breathing, so you can really love them, or love to hate them.

The only low points for the story for me was that I felt it slowed in pace a little towards the middle; and I was hoping for a little more magic in general. But, saying that, having finished reading, I can understand why it didn’t play a larger role and hope it will be expanded on in further books. I won’t reveal any more about that so there are no spoilers, but persevere! It’s worth it! This is probably one of my favourite books of 2013 so far, and I can’t wait to read more!

No comments:

Post a Comment