Friday, 19 April 2013

Anglesey, and an alien planet!

Well, it’s been a very interesting and tiring week for me! I’ve been away on a field trip with university and haven’t really stopped to rest since Monday morning. I spent four days out on Anglesey – for everyone who doesn’t really know northern Britain, Anglesey is an island at the most north-westerly point of Wales. I’ve been going there to do field work since I was 14, but I think this trip was probably the last time I’ll do it. So, with that in mind, it was great to go back to so many sites I’ve studied over the years for one final trip down memory lane!
The days were interesting, to say the least! In four days, we visited a forest, salt marsh, sand dune system, wetland, rocky beach, limestone pavements, a Bronze Age settlement, and heathland. We also went to an abandoned mine, where the water bodies are so contaminated they are almost pure acid. And on basically every occasion, we were blown all over the place by gale-force winds. On the last night, the wind was so bad, we even lost power in our hostel and couldn’t get much work done – all that we did manage was done by torchlight!
Anyway, I’m back now and did a presentation today to wrap up all the work. I’m very tempted to just go away and sleep it all off because it’s been a VERY tough week! But I have an awful lot to do and I’d rather get all that out of the way before I let myself relax. Otherwise I know it will be an even bigger chore to motivate myself again! But at least now I get to stay inside until these gales blow themselves away... I just hope there will still be some trees left in the north west by the end of it!
I tried to take photos of everywhere I could – the only day I refused to risk my camera was on beach/salt marsh/wetland day, as we had an evil combination of wind and horizontal rain! But to make up for it, there’s a filming location that’s been used in Planet of the Apes and Doctor Who – no points for guessing which one!
 
Din Lligwy: bronze age settlement
Moelvre
Newborough Forest
 
Parys Mountain: abandoned copper mine
Anglesey Geopark rock clock
 
Aberffraw
South Stack, Holy Island
Holyhead Mountain, Holy Island
Plas Lligwy
PLEASE NOTE: THESE IMAGES BELONG TO ME - E. C. HIBBS - THEY ARE NOT IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN AND ARE NOT TO BE COPIED OR REDISTRIBUTED.

No comments:

Post a Comment