Monday, 24 December 2012

Merry Christmas!

This is going to be a very small post as I've got A LOT to do in prep for the big day tomorrow, but I just wanted to wish everybody a very Merry Christmas. This has been an absolutely incredible year for me and I've made so many amazing new friends. It's truly been a year of dreams.
 
Around this time of year, the Elitland Valley is trapped in the fierce grip of winter. The green fields are buried beneath a blanket of pristine snow. In the villages, children play in the streets; every roof and window-pane stands crystallised with ice. The trees stretch skeletal fingers towards a pale sky. And to the west, the wall lies beneath a delicate lattice of frosted leaves and spider webs.
 
When I wrote the first draft of Blindsighted Wanderer almost six years ago, the setting was winter, not summer. That season didn't stick around for long as I reworked the story, but this year I can really remember the first version. In my mind's eye, I can see Silas standing at the edge of Fanchlow, his hair the only splash of colour against the snow, staring out towards the forbidden west.
 
It's funny to think back on that time. I haven't thought much about the first draft for a while, but now the year's drawing to a close, I can't really help it, since the story has come so far. It's reached a place I've only dreamed of. I owe all that to the team at Staccato Publishing; there's no other way to describe them than miracle-makers. Thanks to them, an amazing door has opened for me and I can't wait to see what will come. And a huge thank you to all my readers, friends and reviewers who breathe life into my story every time you open it.
 
Loads of Christmas cheer to you; have a wonderful festive day, stay safe, and be happy! May all your Christmas wishes come true! Here's to December, and 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment