Tuesday, 23 October 2012

Hallowe'en is a-comin'!

I'm so excited; this week is going to be very busy getting all the stuff ready! Every year I try to outdo what I did the year before. This time I'm planning to make spider webs out of PVA glue to stick on the windows, and my Mum and I are going to go crazy in the kitchen with spooky baking.
 
I've had an idea to make a marble cake using black and orange mixture, and then decorate it with icing like a pumpkin or something. But if anyone else loves making cakes and wants to get festive, I'd highly recommend checking out Lilli Vanilli - especially her book A Zombie Ate My Cupcake! It's full of really creepy recipies brilliant for this time of year. I'll prewarn, some of them are pretty grotesque so might not be great if you're squeamish, but they all taste sooooo nice! I've made a few  before and had a load of fun creating Dia De Los Muertos sugar skulls, meringue bones, and a gingerbread graveyard...
 
Leading on from books, I've been cracking open all my favourite Hallowe'en reads: Edgar Allen Poe, Bram Stoker and H. P. Lovecraft to name a few! Tim Buton and horror movies have taken over my DVD player, and I'm on the hunt for a nice big pumpkin. I try to do something different every year - the scary demon face wins sometimes, but the last few years I've done a witch flying across the moon, and Jack Skellington from Nightmare Before Christmas. Occasionally I even use a turnip as well - that's a more traditional English lantern, before pumpkins became popular. They're a pain to carve and you can't do much detail, but they look awesome hanging from wall brackets outside the house!
 
Next weekend I'm planning on doing a ghost walk as well. The nearby city is rumoured to be one of the most haunted in England, which doesn't surprise me since it's been standing since the first century! Even the chocolate shop supposedly has a poltergeist! I know a lot of the stories because I've lived here for so long, and I love ghosts, so I go exploring my favourite places close to Hallowe'en.
 
As for my costume... I'm not being too adventurous this year, I'm afraid. My original plan was to do Hysteria Alice from Alice: Madness Returns, but then I found out my BSc Graduation is two days later. And since that make-up would mean A LOT of fake blood on my arms and face, I don't think it'd go down very well with the Dean if I walked through the cathedral still covered in the stuff! So I'm doing Plan B: vampire, which should be a bit easier to clean up! Hysteria can wait until next year! In the meantime, I'm ploughing through my first two assignments so I'll have all the time in the world to have fun!
 
Wishing everyone a very Happy Hallowe'en!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment