Friday, 15 June 2012

Edits, edits, and yet more edits


Like a lot of writers, I find it really hard to sit down with one of my novels and figure out where to draw the line. I think that when it's just been you and these characters holed up inside your own head, it can make it difficult for you to distance yourself enough from your own work to edit it properly. I once read that "easy reading is damn hard writing", and I couldn't agree more.

Saying that, I wouldn't stop for the world. If I was forced to give up all except one pastime, I could begrudgingly let karate go, I could probably even put my graphite pencils down, but if I tried to stop myself from writing then I think I would literally go mad.

The other week, I finished the absolute, final, complete edit of Blindsighted Wanderer. I say 'absolute, final, complete' because there's been too many single edits that I was convinced were the last ones. It seems that no matter how many times I go back to a manuscript, there's always one typo hiding somewhere or a sentance that warbles on. Finishing an edit and then stepping back, saying "right, that's it, I'm not doing any more," is really tough. No matter how many edits you do, it is never enough, but sometimes you need to find that line, draw it, and let it go.

In the next few days, I'm beginning the 'absolute, final, complete' edit of My Tragic Silence. I'm quite looking forward to finishing that one, because it's been through such a huge number of drafts and reworkings. At one point, I took to thinking of it like a wrestling match with a snake that shed its skin every ten minutes. But overall, I'm happy with the way it's turned out.

I will say here, however, so there aren't any misconceptions: My Tragic Silence is a vampire novel, but it's not a romance. I'm not the biggest fan of romance anyway, so even though most of my books have some kind of romantic element to them, it won't ever be the main subject. On the other hand, I love fantasy, history, and horror/action, and all of these will feature prominently (and most probably in that order) in basically everything.

Later this summer, I'll be beginning a huge edit of Phoenix Feathers, and starting work on its sequel. On top of that, I'll be continuing with plans for Wintermourn, and pushing to get Blindsighted Wanderer and My Tragic Silence out into the big wide world! It feels so strange; I've been writing for a long time and managed quite a few novels, but the fact that I've started my blog and am letting people know about it all is making it a bit more real. I can't wait to see how everything turns out!

Thanks for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment